@farah I loved the books as a kid.
I revisited them as an adult during pandemic lockdown. I did manage to read them all but thought they had aged poorly. I guess it's perhaps a sign of progress and maturity that I didn't like them.
There's lots of better scifi without the fucked up attitudes, especially towards women .
@colo_lee Thanks for saying that! I think I’ll skip and read something else
@farah You mean the Amazon series? No. Oh, the original books? Also no.
@farah it’s outdated but yes, as can be any rewriting of Gibbons.
I think it is, but there's a few things to take into account.
It was already "Classic SF" when I read it for the first time ~40 years ago. So it's very formulaic.
He wrote it with a mindset of it being related to "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire" as a ... ummm... foundation and then added a "What if?*
I love Asimov dearly, and he was brilliant, and many of his stories are/were brilliant because they were the first ones written covering the topics. However, he couldn't write people well. His dialogue is wooden. Apply that to all his books. This kind of hurts the 2nd book as it's focused on a smaller scale of people.
@farah depends what you are after. The plots are good but characters are flat and the dialogue can be rough. He got better but the first couple are rough by today’s standards.
@farah Enjoyed the TV. Would give books a go. Seem to recall someone saying on here they’re phenomenal.
@farah Yes, but...It will seem very formulaic because it's literally the foundation of most modern sci-fi. Reading it now is a bit anticlimatic due to that fact.
Yes! I loved the books when I read them all many years ago. The TV series on Apple is good too. They changed it up and condensed the story which they had to do because it is very LONG, covering centuries.
The TV series got me re-reading/listening to it all again.
@farah It's been a long time since I read them (decades), but in this moment it occurs to me that the idea of "psychohistory" as some kind of all-powerful statistical predictor will probably appeal to the absolute worst people.
@farah I liked the first book in the series, second book I lost interest.
@farah I liked some of the core of Foundation, but I found it pretty tedious. I feel like a good synopsis should be good for most people :D