Have you ever literally thrown away a novel because you thought it was evil, and you did not want anyone else to read it?
If yes, tell us about it?
(Please boost.)
Discussion
Have you ever literally thrown away a novel because you thought it was evil, and you did not want anyone else to read it?
If yes, tell us about it?
(Please boost.)
@GeePawHill I once threw away a copy of Enid Blyton's "The Three Golliwogs" on stern instructions from my partner. Hated doing it. Can't understand why she didn't do it herself.
(FWIW, the golliwogs in the title are cuddly toys come to life rather than black people.)
@GeePawHill It’s very hard for me to throw away books, but it was easy with the Harry Potter books. I also tossed the Game of Thrones books because I thought they were utter garbage that no one should read.
@GeePawHill
I once read a novel which started really nice, well developed characters, but then it turned into horror, much more evil than Stephen King. It gripped me, I could not stop, but it made me feel so ill and I got nightmares.
I won't put down details, but it was the only book I threw away ever.
@GeePawHill I voted yes, but it was actually a comic book. "Gérard" by Sapin, about Gérard Depardieu, where a sexual aggression is pictured very casually. To be honest, it is only when Depardieu was openly accused of several sexual crimes that it became unbearable and I through it away.
I would have throw away "La vérité sur l'affaire ..." By Joel I-don't-care who, since he regretted on record that he didn't had "dared" have his aged male character have sex with his underaged "lover". I passed most of the book looking for the moment this paedophile would be disgraced, and it never happened. My worst disturbing read ever.
Pretty sure that was the fate of Lord Foul's Bane. DNF with extreme prejudice.
@vocumsineratio Ooooo, god, I loved that series. Not inclined to re-read it, mind you.
I've forgiven your dreadful youthful judgment on other occasions, what's one more?
@vocumsineratio Growing up is growing up, innit.
@GeePawHill as a young teenager I was reading Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land in front of a fireplace when I became so incensed with it that I threw it in to burn. It has been so long that I don’t remember the details but as an adult I know enough of Heinlein’s themes that I don’t need to go back and try again.
@simmdan Yes, a re-read in this case, at your current age, is not going to make you change your mind.
@GeePawHill I do this to jk rowling books I find in free book libraries
@GeePawHill The answer is no, but I genuinely struggled with this with some of Heinlein’s work; it made me angry and I didn’t want anyone to read it BUT in the end I couldn’t make myself destroy a book.
@whybird Understood. And I also confess to a transition point for me. I loved Heinlein for many years, maybe even up until I was 30.
Now I conceive of him as a dirty old man whackin' off on the toilet under a 20w light bulb.
Other than "grok", what did he ever give us?
@GeePawHill Are we talking about “The Art of the Deal”, or…😂😒
@GeePawHill I did not answer the poll, because I do not recall doing so. But I do recall seeing a bookcase featuring only Dianetics and Scientology books at a local Goodwill store and later feeling regret for not buying all of them at the cheap prices just so I could throw them in a dumpster.
@GeePawHill
Atlas Shrugged. I really shouldn't have even bothered starting it, but I kinda wanted to know...
@golgaloth Yeah, I see it. Rand is a good example of a writer who was a shitty person writing novels justifying being shitty people.
@GeePawHill sadly. I wanted to read it but my family gave me to believe it was evil. I'm not sure if it was the same book or different but I participated in burning a book once for the same reason. There was also an exorcism or two, so. You know
@independentpen My dear friend and mentor Tony burnt _The Exorcist_ itself. It was the first I'd ever heard of someone believing a novel was actually evil.
@GeePawHill
It was a left behind book.
And then a textbook about how God created the USA to be the perfect civilization or something.
@Osteopenia_Powers Oh yeah, I read one of those. Ick.
@GeePawHill All the Harry Potter books from my childhood. I destroyed them before putting them in the bin. Good riddance.
Well, I kept 2. They're covered up and holding up my laptop to a more ergonomic height. They're supporting the trans agenda.
@GeePawHill
No, because I try to be selective and avoid crap. And even when I did read some crap, it was almost always a library book. Just return and move on.