Have you ever literally thrown away a novel because you thought it was evil, and you did not want anyone else to read it?
If yes, tell us about it?
(Please boost.)
Discussion
Have you ever literally thrown away a novel because you thought it was evil, and you did not want anyone else to read it?
If yes, tell us about it?
(Please boost.)
@GeePawHill Threw my one Harry Potter book in the trash because JK Rowling is evil, not because the book was. (I still voted Yes, because that seems close enough.)
Did the same with books by Orson Scott Card. And Neil Gaiman. For the same reason.
@GeePawHill I've tossed one across the room because it was utterly infuriating, too
@kinsale42 I've gotten rid of plenty of books that were shitty, to be sure, but I just brought them back to the library or the used bookstore.
@GeePawHill novel, no. Andrea Dworkin’s “Intercourse,” yes. Plus several diet and Christianity books placed in our Little Free Library.
I am a "yes". The novel was John Irving's first huge splash, _The World According to Garp_.
I read it shortly after it hit mass-market paperback, and then I tore it apart and put it in three different trash cans.
Irving's a gifted writer, w/o question. The book is enthralling, a page-turner. (He's written better since, too.)
I destroyed the book because not a single line of it made me believe he cared about even a single character in it.
Funny. I read that one under my textbook in 5th grade and loved it. I've read it a dozen times since. I suspect if you gave it another go you'd find a different book than you remember.
I was actually recently idle and one piece of craftsmanship from a book I haven't read in a decade or more flitted through my mind. After the driveway blowjob there's a dark cloud over the story for, like, fifty pages before it gets explained. It was sufficiently well done that I noticed it as a standout even now, forty years after I first read it.
It's a long and very dark story, but then, so is Mistry's _A Fine Balance_ or Styron's _Sophie's Choice_. I didn't throw those away, cuz their author's loved their characters greatly, even as they went through the hell of the story.
I don't generally use the word or concept of "evil" any more. I guess I've seen too many awful things done by good people since then.
But at the time, I believed it was a horrible thing.
@GeePawHill I’ve forgotten the details, but I remember someone relating that someone they knew thought a particular book was so evil that they threw it in the river. The person telling the story then went out and bought another copy, soaked it in water, and put it on the shelf where the other copy had been. I guess that really freaked out the other person and reinforced their opinion that the book was evil.
@GeePawHill I read a horror book called Nathaniel when I was a young teen. As I was reading it, I was too scared to see the cover, which had a big skull behind the words:
NAT
HAN
IEL
I finished reading it. And donated it to get it out of my house. 🤣