Apple: So the first Apple TV 4K is now officially “vintage”
Me:
Discussion
Apple: So the first Apple TV 4K is now officially “vintage”
Me:
@oliverboehme just used the alt that came with the GIF will fix (though I don’t know who that is)
@thomasfuchs tsk, apple redefining words... vintage should be "25 yrs+"
@Bredroll imagine if modern computers and phones would last this long
possibly they do but the OS will be so unmaintained (certs, vulns, etc.) to make them effectively useless for almost anything
@thomasfuchs I still have and use a few 2nd gen AirPort Express boxes to stream music to several rooms and to provide my wifi across the house. They were discontinued in 2018-ish but still work great (I have a spare in the cupboard, and an eBay watch in case another 1 or 2 show up at decent prices). @Bredroll
@bigiain fwiw you can also use the Bose SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter* (also discontinued, and you'll need a 3rd-party app now to set it up properly); I have a few of those around as well as the AirPort Express
*https://www.bose.com/p/service-repair/soundtouch-wireless-link-adapter/CMSP-STWLA-ADAPTERLK-BLK.html
@thomasfuchs i would not be so sure, the AI bros are doing a lot to further the opinion that "everything has exploitable catastrophic bugs" but thats not really true. With a system that has a proven network stack and a firewall, if the thing only offers a TLS or ssh service, with mutual auth or similar, even with crypto from a few years ago getting a remote execution exploit is still pretty difficult
@Bredroll not so concerned about people breaking in, but if you have e.g. an older phone with old root certs that you can’t upgrade you can’t really connect to most things (without some major dicking around). Even if you do browser on it will be ancient and lots of stuff won’t load.
Now I have like a 35 year old NeXTstation color and can actually use some of the retro web with it, but like a phone that’s idk 15 years old sits in some awkward liminal space that’s neither here nor there.
@thomasfuchs a TV streaming box that phones home would be a different category, more likely bricked by apple than remotely attackable by default
@Bredroll in my experience they don’t (or only very rarely) brick anything, but they will eventually stop making fixes
e.g. I have a iMac G4 with Mac OS 9 (that’s 25 years old now), and looking up CD data from the Internet when ripping in iTunes still works fine.
Also have an AirPort Express (from 2012, discontinued 2018) that I can stream AirPlay 2 to no problem.
@thomasfuchs (that's not Abe Simpson 🤫)