Is Alex Ross a cartoonist? #Comics #ComicBook
I also find it funny that almost 2/3 chose "who's that?" I think anyone who is at all into comics knows Alex Ross, but even today, a solid majority of people in the Anglosphere are not at all into comics. I wonder how many of that 64% could name two comic artists. Probably a lot of them could name a manga artist, but manga fandom is sort of its own thing. In Japan, probably 70% of the population can name at least five manga artists. But fewer than 1% can probably name a non-Japanese cartoonist.
@RachelThornSub I'm in the 64% and I'm not sure if I could name two (non-manga) comic artists, but it depends how you define it. I could name a dozen webcomics artists and a bunch of newspaper comic artists without breaking a sweat. but if you mean like superhero comics... maybe, if I thought very hard
There really is a great divide, isn't there?
I could name a lot of European comic artists, as I grew up with them. (I have never been comfortable with the term "comic", I wish there was a term closer to BD in English).
I can't name a single UK/US comic artist. For manga, I can off the top of my head name three and I know the works of a few more but can't recall their names right now. Which I guess shows I'm not really a manga fan ^_^
I find it funny that so few people chose "yes." But I also see that some people make a distinction between "cartoonist" and "comic artist," which I don't. To my mind, Alex Ross is an illustrator/painter who also does sequential art. But he's no more a cartoonist in my mind than is Roy Lichtenstein. (That's not meant as a value judgement. Lichtenstein was a thief, which Ross definitely is not, but both are artists who are on the periphery of comics.)