My 21 years at Red Hat have given me deep insights on how to make sure we can pay 20000+ employees every month while not giving up on open source/software freedom ideals. Our approach might not be your approach. That's fine. Let's discuss. I am happy to explain what we do and how we do it. But call me names and attack me without knowing me — welcome to my blocklist.
i had a similar experience at a conference in nashville. there were a few rush limbaugh types in the room and they kept complaining they never got a chance to speak, but they were doing all the speaking, whingeing about not being given a chance.
@jwildeboer how do you do it? who pays and why or what for?
@serapath Recognise that source code has zero intrinsic value. That services, knowledge and stability is what the business world demands. Make sure you get paid well for those services. Offer that as a subscription. Done.
how do you offer it as subscription?
what is it that you charge for?
how do you phrase it?
are you talking about "web services" or "Saas" ...or more consulting/agency services?
who subscribe for what?
what you say sounds interesting, but also abstract
@serapath Instead of trying to cram everything in a thread, you can start with https://cyberbuzzfeed.com/business/companies/news/discover-how-red-hats-business-model-powers-open-source which explains it in a quite comprehensive way.
@jwildeboer @serapath Another upside to OSS: Much easier (and cheaper!) to audit software when the source code is already available. 😅
I well remember that moment where I was invited to give a presentation to the European Commission on the role of Open Source and was immediately attacked by a person in the audience, shouting that I do NOT represent the community. I stopped my presentation. Went to this guy and offered him to take my place and explain what is important. He refused. Don't be that guy.