god remember when we were debating the ethics of recommendation algorithms
@hipsterelectron even worse in countries where hardware is unaffordable without subsidy (this directly led to a crisis in myanmar)
you can then sell subsidized phones and internet plans that have access to facebook only
facebook's recommendation algorithms then determine what passes for truth for a wide populace that has no other instant access to news, misinformation is amplified by a combination of the algorithm and the state, resulting in rohingya genocide
@hipsterelectron most internet-connected societies are a little more privy than that these days though, but then again, so are the techbros, so the solution kinda remains the same in my opinion
@hipsterelectron i have similar feelings about the role of starter packs in attempts at decentralized media, inherently the curator of the pack must be vetted by a community, but the pack itself is a tool to shape the community graph itself, which can lead to a contradiction,
it's still probably better than what your average tech company is doing, though
@estelle I WAS FIGHTING WITH MY CLOSE FRIENDS IN COLLEGE ABOUT FREE BASICS
@hipsterelectron i don't think winning that fight would've STOPPED ai, but it might've made them act a little more slwoly and carefully
@hipsterelectron People debated it? All I remember was everyone blithely accepting it because it meant fewer weirdos such as myself in everyone's feeds.
@hipsterelectron the world moved on but I didn't, that shit is foul and against God and I despise it to the ends of the earth. I provide youtube links with my inv.nadeko.net links as an artifact of the deeply troubled workings of the computer networks of the adversary himself. If you track me in all my imperfection I hope you get worms
@somebody it pisses me off that they invented more evil shit to distract from the original evil shit
@hipsterelectron they'll never stop until we just kill them and I wish it weren't like that but it is. you all know that as I've said this in public and none of it has happened that I'm just saying words, but I mean those words, they will take every added moment of life without imprisonment as a license to make it worse
@somebody yes i have been thinking in terms of the nuremberg trials
@hipsterelectron spawn of satan, still fighting them, turns out you can fight a lot of enemies at once when they turn out to be the same enemy (these specific techbros)