Of all the ActivityPub servers that have ever been publicly available, how many do you think are still up today?
Yes, perhaps might've been better to make the distinction, and ask for multi-person servers specifically.
The term "server" itself is imho an unfortunate case of a lower-level abstraction (that of the installed base) creeping into a high-level one (that of the unified social network stratum). It is a passed station, but a multi-account server/instance might simply be called a Hub.
"How do you join the fediverse, Self-hosted or via a Hub?"
"My actors are all on Hubs."
(Actor is also kind of a technical name, but Person doesn't match, and Identity is awkward. Account is possible, still technical. Fedizen might be used, but rings a bit weird.)
@smallcircles @mrdk Also, I ask the questions I want answers to. I don't like being told by other people what questions I should ask. If *you* want to ask some different question, you should definitely do it! Let me know, and I'll boost it.
@mrdk As far as I can tell, about 47% of live servers are single-user.
What do you mean that the lifetime of servers doesn't tell much about the Fediverse as a whole?
@virtuous_sloth @mrdk yes, I'd probably say something like, "Of all the people who've ever had ActivityPub accounts, how many are still available today," or something similar.
@mrdk Also, as far as I can tell, about 55% of all Fediverse users are on the top 20 biggest servers. About 88% are on the top 100; about 99% are on the top 1000 biggest servers.
@evan There must be an enormous number of one-person servers, so the number of surviving servers need not tell much about the Fediverse as a whole.