California has spent over $400 million in settlements for Law Enforcement misconduct since 2010.
I know because I built a site to track it:
We're updating every week, and slowly expanding across the country.
(boosts welcome)
Discussion
California has spent over $400 million in settlements for Law Enforcement misconduct since 2010.
I know because I built a site to track it:
We're updating every week, and slowly expanding across the country.
(boosts welcome)
@AdrianRiskin fascinating! I’m pulling from meeting minutes documents because that’s the public record I have. It could be LA is “hiding the ball” somehow?
@phildini Is my understanding correct that the residents of California are paying for these settlements?
If so, there needs to be broader propagation of this! This much money can be used to empower the people and their lives, think health care, education, basic universal income (a stretch goal for sure, but at this everything else that is good for people seem to be a stretch goal, if it even registers as people’s “need”).
@macronaut Yes. This is money from taxes the city council or county board of supervisors is paying out because of Law Enforcement misconduct.
Shares appreciated, and if you know activists or journalists to talk to directly I'd love to chat.
@phildini
This is great work and I know it's incomplete. It seems to be mostly counties rather than cities, which only doesn't matter for San Francisco since it's both, and this really skews the data. E.g. per the LA City Controller the City of LA just by itself has paid $456,290,364 settling LAPD cases since FY2020 alone. This isn't related to LA County at all.
https://liabilityclaims.lacontroller.app/
City of LA Liability Claims Dashboard - Interactive Data Analysis