@evan Acting on it is better than talking about it. Talking is reserved for making actionable plans or discussing "alternative paths" but once you're carrying out the plan, it's better to stay quiet to stay focused and get the job done faster.
But then I usually work alone and I don't talk very much, if at all irl so everybody's opinions will be different.
@evan It felt weird for me to answer βyesβ to this, but thatβs what I chose anyway.
My thinking is that if I turn the question around I get βdoes *not* talking about a problem make it worseββ¦ and my answer to that is a firm βyesβ.
@evan missing a "How would I know" option.
@evan
YB
It is usually part of a solution, but it depends enormously on what kind of problem. If it's a social problem, all talk may solve it. But if it's plumbing, it's usually best to just get out the tools and get started.
Lawyers voice: 'It dependsβ¦'
@evan Heh, probably, but let's face facts here. I'm a middle aged cishet white guy with an above average income living in the United States. Nobody really wants to hear about my problems.
@mike don't you have any relationships with people where talking to the other person or people might help overcome friction or avoid misunderstandings? Work, family, friends, neighbours?
@evan Well, I'm married, but my social circle doesn't really leave the house for the most part. Parents are dead. I have a brother, but haven't talked to him since May.
@evan Highly, highly variable, but I think on the balance, yes. Often, just talking about it is insufficient, but in my mind it's a necessary first step.
I've made the mistake often of thinking that simply talking about a problem would address it, when in fact real change was required from me or others. Talking can kickstart the process.
@evan Usually, it's at least a step, although I can think of counterexamples. For instance, talking about trauma prematurely or in too much detail can exacerbate PTSD in some people (this is one of the advantages of EMDR, a therapy that doesn't require recounting traumatic events beyond a vague indication of what memory is being addressed).
@evan it can help to understand the problem, which can lead to a solution. Also, venting can be a relief.
@evan I talk about unsolved problems in math all the time!