Yall the way that I had been looking forward to the Drupalcon Government Summit panel for a month, only to now be violently ill since last night. 😕
@Gina Utter chaos ensued!
Room lights stayed off, devices all shut down, alarms beeped. I dove under the table and reconnected it. Everything booted with excruciating slowness. We had to re-enter the Windows key for some reason. But fifteen minutes later, the exec gave his talk.
The loss of time meant I wasn’t able to give my presentation. But I lived to tell the tale.
2/2
@Gina I'm so sorry to hear you're under the weather and doubly so because of the terrible timing. ): Hope you're feeling better soon.
@Gina Schuldig voelen mag alleen als je het expres hebt gedaan. En dat is niet zo. In dit geval. Veel beterschap!
@Gina I have a story I won’t tell publicly. We all make mistakes. It’ll be ok ❤️
@Gina Waaaay, waay back in day when we self-hosted our source code control central repository, CVS in case it matters, this one time I deleted it. All of it. For the whole company.
Everyone was sent on vacation during the 4 days it took me to recover it from 1/2 inch backup tape.
We lost those 4 days plus an additional day of lost coding because of the backup gap. Some engineers had some uncommitted code that was salvaged.
Now, approximately 30 years later, I think I'm the only one who remembers the incident.
@ericg this helps ❤️🥲
@Gina oh no…. Hope you feel better soon Gina 🫂
If it helps, back in my youth I used to do IT support and one of the daily tasks was changing the backup tape on the DEC Vax server that ran the entire company (back before PCs and Ethernet were a thing!) - no one told me that the tape cassette had a habit of falling out and hitting the power switch… I was not popular 😔
@not_a_label thank you that helped 🥲
:( Get better soon! Hopefully your cats use their healing powers too!
If anyone has any "I deleted prod on a Monday morning, and the world is still turning" stories, that would be great. I feel awful.
Lol my friends are currently sharing ways in which they messed up at work, and some of them are truly heinous ❤️
I've had two e-mail / data / internet companies fold and four social media platforms fold, that forced me to start from scratch. I lost a lot of personal data, contacts and correspondence as well as docs, photos & links.
I consider it house cleaning now - especially with all the data center sifting going on now.
Sucked at the time but all is good now. I've killed more accounts in recent years than I've kept.
Maybe not quite your situation but disrupting nevertheless.
Sun will rise.
@Gina
I have a funny story for you. In our company, Azure Devops was hired, who first waited for 3 months for a project, when he got, he remove the entire prod.
His argument was he think the Gateway was unnecessary do he delete everything.
what's better, delete all and because it was 4 pm, he went home.
We put it from scratch while implementing and fixing incrastructure debt.
Finally, the customer was satisfied.
@Gina I was giving a talk at COMDEX back in the day. This was a super big deal for me: I was talking after an exec VP four levels up in front of hundreds of people.
VP starts talking, I lean back in my chair, and somehow kick a cable running under the table. The cable that provided power to the presentation computer, the projector, and the lights controller for the room. The cable that unplugged when my foot hit it…
1/2