when's the last time you ran a backup
@cwebber After putting it off for weeks, I finally ran a backup on teh day this poll closed.
@cwebber my backups are so secure by not existing 🤞
@cwebber This week, but only because my laptop's charging port started acting up as of late and I had to copy everything before the computer dies
@cwebber you're lacking the never option 😌
@cwebber a backup? This week. Testing a restore? Oh god oh god oh god
@cwebber ambiguous wording do you mean made a backup or tested a backup? and automated backing up happens multiple times a day so also not really answer that fits if that is what your asking
@cwebber where is the "today" option?
@cwebber My backups run continuously for the offsite set and nightly for the local set.
@cwebber This week, automatically every day. Then the disk died. Fortunately it also uploads backups to cloud storage.
But not the old backups from decades ago :😭️
@cwebber I always stop just in time thank gawd for cameras.
Normally daily. Because once upon a time, I was responsible for a tech support team, and I cannot/will not skip backups of my important business and personal data. And because I still find myself needing to help people during times of potential personal technical catastrophe, and asking, “when was your last backup?”…only to be met by either a) a blank stare, b) a sheepish shrug, or c) ALL the physical signs sheer panic.
My stuff's already in the cloud, so the only things I have to worry about are that 13th 9 and account deletion.
@cwebber I would like to vote for both "today" and "oh god oh god oh god oh god". My automated backups have run overnight, but there's definitely random stuff lying around that I need to get added to the automatic backups!
@cwebber 4x daily backups of my OS user profile on continual rotation. Daily backups of my user profile to a day named folder which results in continual weekly rotation and then a monthly full disk backup of my C drive with several years of monthly points. I backup my data drives to multiple different NAS devices and also if more normal times did an off-site dump of my profile and family photo drives to a HDD swapped semi regularly to a safety deposit box.
(FWIW I backed up today. I used to have automatic backups but now I run them manually. Would like to re-setup the automatic backups though.)
My backups are encrypted, which I do feel grateful for.
And yes, I have restored from backup recently. When I set up this computer, earlier this year!
This poll got way more responses than I expected and my main takeaway is that the fediverse is either living precariously and anxiously on the edge or is extremely on top of its shit, and is unfortunately more the former than the latter
@cwebber You just have to lose something important once to make you a backup believer. For me, that was 41 years ago.
@cwebber how I managed to miss this poll is beyond me.
It's just as well. I don't see a "What's a backup?" option.